Boiler Blog | Nationwide Boiler Inc.
Nationwide Boiler news and events, industry updates, technical resources and more. You hear it first on The Nationwide Boiler Blog!
Freeze Protection Recommendations
The winter season is here and for many users affected by freezing temperatures it is critical that the boiler unit is properly protected. Nationwide Boiler recommends the following in order to ensure that your unit continues to operate while facing freezing conditions.
- Enclose both the front and rear of the boiler area and use an external heat source to minimize freezing conditions.
- Install heat tracing with insulation to protect exposed stagnant water lines.
- Utilize an appropriate heat tracing method (electric or steam tracing) to all of your main lines and piping components. This includes the following lines which should be heat traced regardless if the boiler is in operation or not (in freezing conditions): sensing lines (steam drum to CMR, high steam and steam gauge), auxiliary low-water-cut-off, water column and level control blowdown. Depending on the length of piping runs, the main and continuous blowdown should also be heat traced.
- In addition to heat tracing on stagnant sensing lines, drain the lines and fill them with a 50/50 (water/glycol) solution, making sure to re-connect the line.
- When an extended boiler down time is expected, completely drain the boiler and stagnant water lines.